Assault On Aural
Little reward in the way of stunning vistas and scenery at the summit of Phnom Aural, this is a trek for those who are fit, like adventure and to ‘rough it’ and are happy to add the highest mountain in Cambodia to their peaked list!
This is not a path well worn by Sunday strollers – this is a small expedition into a very remote part of Cambodia.
Cresting the Country’s Highest Peak.
A pleasure that speaks for itself, climb a peak that is higher than Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK, and is still almost completely unknown to the outside world.
The Sights and Sounds of the living Jungle.
Little of the jungle that covers the mountain has had any interference from man and is abundant in wildlife, from pilated gibbon to (rumoured) tiger, wild cow to bush pig.
Driving deep into the Cambodian countryside.
The further you get from Phnom Penh the further into the past you travel. And the Cambodian countryside is of particular natural beauty.
The Cambodian Rural Experience.
Camp in a small Cambodian village and look through a small window into the country’s rural traditions. See a way of life that has changed little since the Bronze Age. And enjoy spending time in the company of the rural Khmer people, whose warmth and good humour are legendary.
The tour is for a period of 4 days and the price includes:
- Experienced Tour Guide and support staff.
- Airport transfers.
- Buddhist Good Luck Blessing.
- All regular expenses for the participant and guide during the 4 day period.
- All meals whilst trekking.
- Accommodation, based on twin share unless otherwise specified.
- Use of support vehicle and other modes of transport as specified in the itinerary.
- Tickets and passes to all locations specified in the tour itinerary.
- Any alcohol consumed during the course of the tour by either guide or participant.
- Any personal daily consumables, for example: cigarettes.
- Expenses incurred that are not listed as part of the itinerary.
- Any plane flights either international or domestic Cambodia.
- Medical treatment or evacuation of a participant either as a result of being on tour or not as a result of being on tour.
- Medical or Evacuation insurance.
- Cost of sending trek payment to Cambodia.
Drive to the Jungle
Phnom Penh to Phum Aural:
Collection from the hotel. Leave Phnom Penh and head to the former capital and temples of Oudong. Take a Buddhist blessing at the pagoda, for good luck. Head into the jungle and establish a base camp at the foot of the mountain, in the village of Phum Aural. Assemble the local guides. Camp overnight.
Take breakfast before light and start out at dawn for the walk to the summit. Establish camp two next to a river at around the 1000 metre mark and stay overnight.
Crest the Summit & Explore the Plateau
Walk the remaining 800 metre elevation to the summit and take lunch. After exploring the summit return to camp two and stay overnight.
Descent to Phum Aural
Head down the mountain and back to base camp and a welcome wash in the Aural River. Drive back to Phnom Penh and the hotel. Celebratory & farewell dinner with your guide.
- Walking boots
- Clothes suitable for trekking in tropical jungle.
- Small day pack, carrying one days worth of clothes and toiletries (he who travels lightest, travels furthest).
- Water carrier, min 2 litres (CamelBak recommended) water purifier.
- Energy bars/food or vitamin supplements.
- Pocket knife/pocket tool (Leatherman recommended).
- Handheld GPS and digital camera.
- Sunglasses and clear glasses.
- Independent Travel Insurance (not optional, must be carried by all participants).
- Personal Medicines (any specific medical conditions to be reported to event leader prior to departure) and anti-malarial precautions/insect repellent.
- Photocopy of passport and current visa and spare passport photos.
- Waterproof bags for carrying valuables, (such as wallet)
- Map of Cambodia
- Copy of guide book ‘Adventure Cambodia’ by Matt Jacobson, published by Asia Books